THE SIGNS OF A TRUE HYPOCRITE
عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَالَ أَرْبَعٌ مَنْ كُنَّ فِيهِ كَانَ مُنَافِقًا خَالِصًا وَمَنْ كَانَتْ فِيهِ خَصْلَةٌ مِنْهُنَّ كَانَتْ فِيهِ خَصْلَةٌ مِنْ النِّفَاقِ حَتَّى يَدَعَهَا إِذَا اؤْتُمِنَ خَانَ وَإِذَا حَدَّثَ كَذَبَ وَإِذَا عَاهَدَ غَدَرَ وَإِذَا خَاصَمَ فَجَرَ
‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr reported that The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Whoever has the following four (characteristics) will be a true hypocrite and whoever has one of the following four characteristics will have one trait of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up:
- When he is entrusted with a matter, he betrays that trust
- When he speaks, he tells lies
- When he makes a promise or an oath, he breaks it
- When he quarrels, he is excessive and demeaning.”
Narrated in Sahih al-Bukhari 34 (Book 2, Hadith 27)
Grade: sahih (authentic)
Translation adapted from sunnah.com
- A person with all four traits of hypocrisy is quite likely to be a true hypocrite, whereas a person with one of the four traits is only associated with hypocrisy until he sheds that trait.
- The four traits of a hypocrite are:
a. Betraying that with which one is entrusted
b. Telling lies whenever one speaks
c. Committing treachery after having made a covenant
d. Behaving in a very imprudent, wicked, and insulting manner whenever engaged in an argument.
May Allah protect us from possessing these traits of hypocrisy.
To subscribe to A Hadith A Day (AHAD), click on the Telegram channel link below:
Lovin’ our channel? Follow us on Facebook! Like us at
Prefer your hadith in Malay? Join our sister channel: